Car and Home Insurance frequently asked questions
Insurance works best for everyone when we’re all on the same page. We’ve listed questions we’re often asked and answered them.
It covers accidental damage to your vehicle (including fire and theft), and your liability for damage to third-party property and third-party injury.
Yes, it is. The loss of an asset or a liability claim can be devastating financially. It’s best to insure so that in the event of loss or damage, your insurance can help to pay for it.
Unless cover has been restricted to “Named Driver” on your policy, your child is covered as long as they comply with licence regulations and obey the rules of the road. The licence must be current and a fully-licenced driver must accompany your child in the car.
If you are over 55 and have our policy, there is zero basic excess for you and your spouse. Penalty excesses may apply, for example if a younger person was driving.
If you are younger than 55 or over 55 and a younger person is going to drive, you can pay a fair and reasonable monthly charge to waive the excess.
Yes, usually it is cheaper to consolidate your insurance policies.
- Call our Service Hotline on 0860 100 000.
- Collect the name, address, contact number, identity number, vehicles details (registration, make, and model) of all other parties involved in the collision.
- Take note of the name of the third parties, their insurance broker or insurance company, and policy number.
- Get the names, addresses, and contact numbers of any independent witnesses.
- Sketch the scene of the accident, including landmarks, road signs, street names, and markings.
- Give your name and address, the name and address of your insurance company, and your vehicle registration to the other driver(s) in the accident, if requested.
- Report the accident to the nearest police station (within 24 hours) and, if there is a third party involved, obtain a copy of the police report for recovery purposes.
- Admit fault or liability to anybody (either verbally or in writing), even though you may have caused the accident.
- Leave the scene of the accident unlawfully.
- Discuss the accident with anyone except a traffic or police officer.
- Consume (or allow anyone in your vehicle to consume) alcohol or drugs.
- Drive your vehicle, unless you are completely sure that it is safe to do so.
- Move your vehicle, if a person has been injured or killed, unless instructed to do so by a traffic or police officer. If no injuries or fatalities have been sustained and the accident vehicles obstruct the road or traffic flow, the vehicles must be moved to safety after clearly marking their road position.
Yes, plus you’ll enjoy a saving in the process.
Yes, simply complete a debit order authority.
Yes, we insure boats and other watercraft. If your watercraft is under 10,5 metres in length or slower than 110 km per hour, our Priceless or Envoy product can be tailored to your needs. If your boat is larger than 10,5 metres and faster than 110 km per hour, get in touch with one of our friendly consultants to assist you.
Definitely, and you should also make sure that the value provided is the replacement value when you purchased it. So, if you purchased a cell phone in 2019 and you paid R5 000, that is the replacement value.
It is advisable to specify any valuable jewellery that is worn regularly such as diamond rings or gold necklaces. Low-value items, such as costume jewellery, can be covered but you don’t need to specify each item. Our friendly consultants can guide you through the process if you’re unsure.
You will need to provide us with a jeweller’s valuation certificate for your precious pieces.
Their assets are all covered at your home, subject to the terms and limitations of our policy offering. Discuss this with any of our friendly consultants for additional clarity.
Yes. In fact, we will usually be able to do this with a generous cost saving and increased benefits.
Yes, we can increase it up to R50 000 000,00 (R50 million).
Yes. The more information we have of your insurance requirements, the better we can assess your risk correctly, ensuring that you have appropriate cover at the most competitive rate possible.
Yes, you may use this policy section for this action. But first, chat to one of our consultants before proceeding with any legal action.