Site url:
Pagecontext: [email protected]

Car and Home Insurance frequently asked questions

Insurance works best for everyone when we’re all on the same page. We’ve listed questions we’re often asked and answered them.

What is comprehensive cover on a vehicle policy?

It covers accidental damage to your vehicle (including fire and theft), and your liability for damage to third-party property and third-party injury.
Is Car and Home Insurance really necessary?

Yes, it is. The loss of an asset or a liability claim can be devastating financially. It’s best to insure so that in the event of loss or damage, your insurance can help to pay for it.
My child has a learner’s licence - is he or she covered to drive my car?

Unless cover has been restricted to “Named Driver” on your policy, your child is covered as long as they comply with licence regulations and obey the rules of the road. The licence must be current and a fully-licenced driver must accompany your child in the car.
Can I have a vehicle policy without an excess?

If you are over 55 and have our policy, there is zero basic excess for you and your spouse. Penalty excesses may apply, for example if a younger person was driving.

If you are younger than 55 or over 55 and a younger person is going to drive, you can pay a fair and reasonable monthly charge to waive the excess.
What should I do in the unfortunate event of an accident?
  • Call our Service Hotline on 0860 100 000.
  • Collect the name, address, contact number, identity number, vehicles details (registration, make, and model) of all other parties involved in the collision.
  • Take note of the name of the third parties, their insurance broker or insurance company, and policy number.
  • Get the names, addresses, and contact numbers of any independent witnesses.
  • Sketch the scene of the accident, including landmarks, road signs, street names, and markings.
  • Give your name and address, the name and address of your insurance company, and your vehicle registration to the other driver(s) in the accident, if requested.
  • Report the accident to the nearest police station (within 24 hours) and, if there is a third party involved, obtain a copy of the police report for recovery purposes.
Do not do the following:
  • Admit fault or liability to anybody (either verbally or in writing), even though you may have caused the accident.
  • Leave the scene of the accident unlawfully.
  • Discuss the accident with anyone except a traffic or police officer.
  • Consume (or allow anyone in your vehicle to consume) alcohol or drugs.
  • Drive your vehicle, unless you are completely sure that it is safe to do so.
  • Move your vehicle, if a person has been injured or killed, unless instructed to do so by a traffic or police officer. If no injuries or fatalities have been sustained and the accident vehicles obstruct the road or traffic flow, the vehicles must be moved to safety after clearly marking their road position.
Can I pay for 12-months’ cover in one payment?

Yes, plus you’ll enjoy a saving in the process.
Can I pay my premiums monthly?

Yes, simply complete a debit order authority.
I need to insure my boat. Can you help me?

Yes, we insure boats and other watercraft. If your watercraft is under 10,5 metres in length or slower than 110 km per hour, our Priceless or Envoy product can be tailored to your needs. If your boat is larger than 10,5 metres and faster than 110 km per hour, get in touch with one of our friendly consultants to assist you.
Do I need to provide specification of my cell phone?

Definitely, and you should also make sure that the value provided is the replacement value when you purchased it. So, if you purchased a cell phone in 2019 and you paid R5 000, that is the replacement value.
How do I insure my jewellery?

It is advisable to specify any valuable jewellery that is worn regularly such as diamond rings or gold necklaces. Low-value items, such as costume jewellery, can be covered but you don’t need to specify each item. Our friendly consultants can guide you through the process if you’re unsure.
I have been asked to supply proof of value and ownership of my jewellery. How do I do this?

You will need to provide us with a jeweller’s valuation certificate for your precious pieces.
How do I insure my domestic worker’s personal property?

Their assets are all covered at your home, subject to the terms and limitations of our policy offering. Discuss this with any of our friendly consultants for additional clarity.
My Homeowners Insurance is placed with my bondholder. Can I insure this with you?

Yes. In fact, we will usually be able to do this with a generous cost saving and increased benefits.
Can I increase my Personal Liability limit?

Yes, we can increase it up to R50 000 000,00 (R50 million).
Is all the information required on the proposal form really necessary?

Yes. The more information we have of your insurance requirements, the better we can assess your risk correctly, ensuring that you have appropriate cover at the most competitive rate possible.
I am insured for legal costs. Can I use this to sue my previous employer for wrongful dismissal?

Yes, you may use this policy section for this action. But first, chat to one of our consultants before proceeding with any legal action.

Momentum Insurance Company Limited is an authorised financial services provider (FSP 30414) and part of Momentum Metropolitan Holdings Limited.

We use cookies to provide the best experience. View our Cookie Policy.

Internet Explorer is out of date. Update your browser to ensure our website functions correctly.

Your browser's cookies are disabled. Enable cookies to ensure our website functions correctly. View our Cookie Policy.

We use cookies to provide the best experience. View our Cookie Policy.

Internet Explorer is out of date. Update your browser to ensure our website functions correctly.

Your browser's cookies are disabled. Enable cookies to ensure our website functions correctly. View our Cookie Policy.