The cost of surviving illness – your biggest lifetime expense?
Advances in medical care mean that more people can now survive illnesses once thought to be fatal. However, although many individuals lead relatively normal lives after suffering a critical illness event, they no longer enjoy the same mobility or good health.
The best medical treatment can cost you; and your diminished ability to work could force you to make severe lifestyle changes.
What is critical illness or dread disease cover?
Critical illness cover offers financial protection against illnesses such as a heart attack, cancer, stroke, Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s. It also covers injuries from accidents such as paraplegia, major burns and brain damage.
It pays out a tax-free lump sum you can use in any way you like.
Why you need it
Critical illness benefits can provide additional funds for the following:
- To help offset any shortfall on your medical aid.
- For additional expenses or reduced income because of lifestyle changes.
- To access the best medical technology - something that medical aids don't always do.
How comprehensive is it?
Our critical illness cover pays out for all the defined critical illness events covered by South African insurers. Your minor children are automatically covered too. This means you will have complete peace of mind.
Medical aid schemes provide decent cover while you are in hospital. The problem starts with your out-of-hospital expenses and chronic medication and it typically doesn’t cover cutting edge experimental treatments. Heart diseases, stroke and cancer may leave you with a huge financial burden even if you are on the best medical aid.
Myriad offers two critical illness benefits, both of which give complete protection.
- You can choose between an affordable severity-based benefit and a benefit that pays 100% even for lower severity conditions.
- Both benefits include our unique Breadth of Cover Guarantee™ - which will cover you for all critical illnesses covered by all life insurers in South Africa, even if a particular benefit isn’t covered by Momentum.
- Complete Critical Illness Benefit - pays 25%, 50%, 75% or 100% of the benefit amount, depending on the severity.
- Complete Enhanced Critical Illness Benefit - which provides maximum payouts on the SCIDEP claim event categories and elevates all other 50% and 75% severity claim events to 100%.
- Specified Claim Event Enhancer – when this ancillary benefit is added to the Complete Critical Illness Benefit it enhances the tiered payouts of the 25% to 75% severities for the four most common critical illnesses, which are cancer, stroke, heart attacks and coronary artery bypass grafts, to 100%.
- Critical illness cover for children – both our critical illness benefits automatically covers your children from birth until they are 18 years old. This benefit amount equals 10% of the parents’ benefit amount and is limited to R250 000 per insured parent.
- Longevity Protector - Critical Illness - cost-effectively ensures that your critical illness cover never runs out. It also pays out a benefit at age 80 if you didn't claim under your critical illness benefit.
Myriad offers complete protection spanning the whole body. Apart from the big four - cancer, heart attack, stroke and coronary artery bypass graft - Myriad covers numerous other life-changing conditions
- Cardiac and arterial system
- Connective tissue disease
- Ear, nose and throat system
- Digestive system
- Major burns
- Muscles, bones and joints
- Brain and nerves
- Lungs and breathing
- Severe plastic anaemia
- Terminal illness
- Kidney and urinary tract
- Visual system
- Early cancer
- Additional claim events for children
- Breadth of Cover Guarantee™
- Catch-all category
Because the financial impact of a critical illness will vary from person to person, there is no scientific way to determine the benefit amount of a critical illness benefit. Generally, you should get the most cover you can afford.
- One specific treatment for rheumatoid arthritis (not covered by most medical aids) results in a bill of more than R100 000 per year.
- On average, a stroke would cost between R500 000 and R1 million over the lifetime of the patient.
- The lifetime cost of Alzheimers disease is more than R1 million.
- Experimental cancer treatment utilising a patient’s own immune system will cost in excess of R1 million.
Adding Myriad's unique Longevity Protector to your critical illness benefit ensures that your cover will never run out, no matter how long you live with a critical illness.